Thursday, June 3, 2010

2am on Thursday June 3rd: Random Notes

Just a couple of noteworthy things:
Since you have all heard about Momma's Unusual degree of fiestiness, I need to share this with you. As you know she has been able to communicate with us via dry erase board. She signaled to write so I prepared the board and since she pulls the clipboard ( which has a 8 x 10 dry erase "notepad" taped to the back of it) and I can not see what she writes until she is finished writing, I was not quite prepared for what I was about to see.......
She turns the board towards me, motions toward her foley (urinary) catheter, and then points to the words she had written "This is the Piss" then she pointed to the cardio-centesis fluid collection bag and points to the words she had written. "this is the vinegar". We laughed so hard that she had a coughing fit.
Also of note:
The ventilator machine puts off a series of tones, that varies depending on the mode it is set on. Right now the alarm tone for indicating an abnormal pattern of breathing ( in which category laughter is definitely located) The machine puts off a tone very much like the Horn that one of the Marx Brothers uses, And it just seems to make us laugh even harder. I think we have determined the machines name is Harpo. Knowing that laughter is truly the best medicine, I believe this model of ventilator had a development team of comic geniuses ( to get the Harpo Horn so right) or they need to make the Machine smart enough to identify the difference between gasps and guffahs.
Another tidbit:
Inter-mountain Medical Center is unrivaled in quality of care. Doctors Hildegard Smith and Ravenaugh have been stellar. The ICU Nurses are amazing, first in their caring of Mom, and second in their compassion to her children. They Are Bryan, Ryan, Claire, Joni, Stephanie and Adam. They have allowed us to stay with momma - even though the "book" does not allow for that. They have answered our questions, without making us feel like "lesser educated beings" same with the PT's OT's and CNA's and with only one exception the Resp Therapists have been awesome as well ( Special ^5 for Juliet who suggested throwing darts at "lil Hilter")
Last one:
When someone tells you that LDS elders are not available to give a Momma in an ICU unit a blessing at 1:15 am, go ask someone else!!! There are blessed beings available at any and all times. Just a tip, Try asking the Under appreciated, over worked, sweet spirit at the Emergency Room registration of any hospital. when she says "I know just who to call - do you want One or Two?" Then hands you a kleenex when she sees your tears. You know you were guided to the right person. Angels are everywhere. I dare you to doubt it.
OK I am done for now - Thanks for reading my rant.
Peace & Blessings,
Becky Sue

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad she is in good hands and has such wonderful kids to stay with her. You have to be a comfort to her being with her. Love you guys, and thanks for the updates. I'm living by the computer. Tell her I love her and so do her brothers. Aunt Ev

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you Mom Mom. You are the BEST! I hope you get better soon. Once you get back from the hospital I hope you have a good time. I know you are not having a good time in the hospital. Usually people do NOT have a good time in the hospital. Tonight we built a fire and roasted hot dogs and marshmallows. I love you very, very, very much. We say our family prayers and ask Heavenly Father that you get better soon.
    Hugs & Kisses XOXO
    Love,
    Curtis
    (as dictated to his mom)

    ReplyDelete